This Russian cruise is an epic journey along a spectacular stretch of Europe’s largest river. This 11 day tour, staying onboard the five star, luxury Volga Dream cruise liner includes 8 nights cruising from the historic River Terminal on the Moscow Canal to the beautiful old city of Volgograd on the western banks of the Volga. After a three day introduction to the main attractions of Moscow, you’ll set sail for some of the most picturesque towns of the Lower Volga, including Yaroslavl on the famous Golden Ring circuit. Marvel at iconic onion-domed churches and medieval forts while immersing yourself Russia’s extraordinary culture, arts, folklore, history, food and legendary love of lively celebration along the way.
- Highlights of Moscow: Enjoy guided excursions to the most lauded landmarks of the Russian capital. Walk the Red Square, enter the halls of the imposing Kremlin and Armoury Museum and marvel at the works of the Russian masters at the Tretyakov Gallery
- Uglich: With brightly painted historical buildings standing proudly along the banks of the river, Uglich is one of the most magnificent towns to behold from the Volga. Explore one of Russia’s oldest cities, home to Church of St Dmitry, built on the site where the last heir of Ivan the Terrible met his mysterious demise
- Yaroslavl: One of the most celebrated cities of Russia’s Golden Ring, Yaroslavl has so much to see. Admire the incredible artistry of the Spassky Monastery and take part in a costumed reception at the Governer’s House
- Nizhniy Novgorod was a once wealthy city with a strategic position on the Eastern trade route. During the Soviet era it was used as a place of exile for political prisoners and outsiders were forbidden. Now open to visitors once again, it boasts spectacular views from the ramparts of its 16th century Kremlin
- By Day 7, Orthodox churches no longer dominate the landscape. Instead, the beautiful minarets of Islamic mosques pierce the sky as we enter the Republic of Tartarsan, where we disembark to discover the unique Tartar culture of the Republic’s capital, Kazan
- Sail past the Zhigulevskie mountains towards Samsara. Our tour of the city includes a visit to the space museum and stroll along the Volga esplanade to the Samara State Art Museum
- Discover the world-changing WWII history of Volvograd, a 16th century city that shot to notoriety as the site of the Battle of Stalingrad, the largest and bloodiest battle in the history of warfare