Golden Ring Tours Overview
Our Golden Ring Tours take place close to Russia's capital Moscow, yet seemingly a world away, adventuring to the beautifully preserved ancient cities of the Golden Ring route is a must. The cities of the Golden Ring are perfect destinations for travellers seeking the idyllic, provincial Mother Russia of old. A must short detour when Visiting Moscow. Scattered across a rural landscape of rolling hills, flower blanketed meadows, rivers and streams. The cities of the Golden Ring were considered political backwaters by the time Soviet industrialisation took hold, escaping much of the urban progress that rapidly engulfed Moscow and its surroundings. Consequently, many locals to the Golden Ring still lead a largely traditional existence, living in tight-knit communities where the ancestral izba (wooden farmhouse) is the centre of daily life.
Golden Ring Russia, Travel Highlights:
- Regarded as open-air museums, be enthralled by many of the Golden Ring’s ancient settlements and architectural masterpieces. These include the UNESCO-listed monasteries and onion-dome cathedrals in Yaroslavl, the white stone monuments of Vladimir (the Golden Gates, the church of Boris and Gleb), and the medieval wooden houses and windmills in Suzdal.
- Our Golden Ring Tours facilitate immersion in the colourful culture of provincial Russia. Towns such as Ivanovo and Kostroma still maintain a largely traditional way of life. When you visit the Golden ring, be sure to try the delicious traditional Russian cuisine, admire time-honoured handicrafts and unearth ancient relics of the Soviet times.
- Discover the sacred places of the orthodox religion at their many cathedrals, churches and historical monuments like the Trinity Lavra of Saint Sergius, the Holy Assumption Cathedral and the Cathedral of Transformation.
- Uncover the age-old allure of Russia by delving into the rich history and legends of the Golden Ring. From Russian princes and knights to the early Tsars and Mongol invasions, you will experience something straight out of a fairytale.
- Admire the stunning natural landscapes of the Golden Ring dominated by rippling meadows, lush green forests and winding rivers used to link fortified towns in the middle ages.
Many Golden Ring cities date back to at least the 10th century, and played a vital role in Medieval history, associated with the formation of the Russian Orthodox Church, the reign of Tsars and the Mongol Invasions. When you go on a Golden Ring tour, you will notice that virtually every town is a living museum, made up of ancient forts, towering monasteries, imposing palaces and magnificent cathedrals. Recognised for their artistic merit as an important place in history, four sites on the Golden Ring circuit have gained UNESCO World Heritage Site status, including the 1,000-year-old city of Yaroslavl.