Russia’s story is evolving at a rapid pace, and nowhere is this intermingling of the ancient and the avant-garde more apparent than in its two largest metropolises, Moscow and St Petersburg. This carefully crafted Moscow and St Petersburg Tour itinerary tells the tale of two cities – Moscow, the source of Eastern political, economic and spiritual influence, and St Petersburg – Russia’s cultural epicentre and window to Western Europe. During this fabulous 9 day Moscow and St Petersburg tour, you’ll stay in some of the country’s most stylish, centrally located urban hotels. Discover Moscow and St Petersburg plus a portion of the historical Golden Ring route by plush private transport. Travel business class on the high speed Sapsan train between Moscow and St Petersburg and spoil yourself even more with a choice of optional activities including a sublime night out at the opera or ballet at the Bolshoi Theatre, a luxurious Moscow dinner cruise and an evening of classical music at one of St Petersburg’s beautiful palaces turned concert halls.
Moscow and St Petersburg Tour Highlights
- Enjoy a very special evening at White Rabbit, heralded as one of Restaurant Magazine’s top restaurants in the world. White Rabbit combines a whimsical Alice in Wonderland theme with elegant service, creative takes on Russian cuisine and a domed glass roof providing breathtaking views of the city
- Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of one of the world’s biggest metropolises on a guided walking tour of Moscow, including the Red Square, the Kremlin and St Basil’s Cathedral
- Explore Moscow’s famously elaborate Metro stations on the way to the Tretyakov State Gallery, the national treasury of Russian fine art and one of the greatest museums in the world
On this unique 7 day Moscow to St Petersburg tour, you’ll immerse yourself in the art, history and culture of Russia and explore the contrasting styles of her old and new capitals – the majestic cities of Moscow and St Petersburg. Your tour begins in Moscow, the mega-metropolis whose blend of Imperial decadence, Soviet austerity and vibrant contemporary energy is sure to entertain and enthral.
Moscow to St Petersburg Tour Highlights
- Panoramic Tour of Moscow: See Moscow beyond the postcard images on a private excursion by car through the city streets including a drive along the banks of the Moskva River. Visit the famous Bolshoi Theatre, pass by Gorky Park and the Novodevichy Convent and admire the city from on high at the Sparrow Hill observation platform.
- Moscow Guided Walking Tour: Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of one of the world’s biggest metropolises and discover local haunts on foot, including the Red Square, the Kremlin and the multi-coloured domes of St Basil’s Cathedral.
- St Petersburg Walking Tour: Admire the spectacular urban architecture, old-world grandeur and buzzing vibe on a guided walking tour of St Petersburg, including a stroll along its lively high street, Nevsky Prospekt
Embark on an endlessly enthralling exploration of the places that shaped Russia’s history on this 11-day tour of Moscow, St Petersburg and the Golden Ring. From the reign of the Tsars to the iron grip of the USSR to the people and projects ushering in a new era of cultural expression and innovation, you’ll gain a deeper insight into Russia’s ancient heritage and a fascinating glimpse into its future.
- Moscow City Walking Tour: Immerse yourself in the atmosphere of one of the world’s biggest metropolises on a guided tour of Moscow on foot, taking in the Red Square, the Kremlin, the fantastical St Basil’s Cathedral and more
- Moscow Metro Tour: go deep underground on a subway tour of the famous metro system, a Soviet innovation renowned for its palatial, lavishly decorated stations
- Mini Golden Ring Tour: spend two days in the gorgeous Russian countryside visiting three of the most beautiful towns of the historic Golden Ring – the medieval village of Vladimir, Suzdal’s storybook wooden houses and Sergei Posad, the “Russian Vatican”
Russian winters are harsh yet extraordinarily beautiful, and it’s the lands above the Arctic Circle where winter’s transformational effects are most keenly felt. The Kola Peninsula is home to people and animals who survive and thrive despite the chilling temperatures. Ending in the ‘capital’ of the Arctic Circle, Murmansk, this Northern Lights tour shows you two sides to life in the Russian Winter, from the grandiose cities of Moscow and St Petersburg to the polar landscapes of the remote Kola Peninsula.
- Moscow City Tour: Begin your journey in Russia’s mighty capital discovering moscow’s highlights. Start with a guided exploration of the Kremlin in its finest winter decorations, before heading underground to discover the famous Moscow Metro system and its lavishly decorated subterranean stations
- Armed with the knowledge of an expert guide, uncover some of the most esteemed treasures among the 3 million works of art in St Petersburg’s State Hermitage Museum
- Hovercraft Ride: Visit the small rural settlement of Kizhi Island, today an enchanting open-air museum with over 80 original wooden structures from the 14th to 17th centuries. In the middle of Lake Obega, Kizhi is only accessible in winter via a hovercraft able to navigate the icy, aquatic terrain
On this mesmerising and romantic Moscow to St Petersburg river cruise, you’ll take in the sights, sounds and history of Russia’s heartland from the comfort of a stunning 5-star modern cruise vessel. After three days of touring the must-see sights of Moscow, we’ll sail through the Moscow Canal which connects the city to the majestic Volga River, the longest river in Europe. Heading north, you’ll experience the contrast between life in a heaving megacity and the languid pace of the gorgeous Russian countryside. Traversing the Volga with port calls in the timeless townships of Russia’s ancient Golden Ring, our Russian river cruise finishes in the glittering far northern metropolis of St Petersburg, one of the world’s most beautiful cities.
Moscow to St Petersburg Volga river cruise highlights:
- Highlights of Moscow: Enjoy guided excursions to the most lauded landmarks of the Russian capital. Walk the Red Square, enter the halls of the imposing Kremlin and marvel at the works of the Russian masters at the Tretyakov Gallery
- Uglich: One of the most magnificent towns to behold from the Volga, with its brightly painted Kremlin standing proudly along the waters’ edge, Uglich is home to the Church of St Dmitry, where the last heir of Ivan the Terrible met his mysterious demise
- Yaroslavl is one of the oldest and most celebrated cities of Russia’s Golden Ring. Admire the incredible artistry of the Spassky Monastery and take part in a costumed reception at the Governer’s House
Explore the Treasures of St Petersburg. Before Moscow became the seat of Russian power, St Petersburg was the capital of the Russian Empire for 200 years. Inspired by London, Vienna and Paris, Peter the Great transformed a tract of swampland on the Lena River delta into what would become renowned as one of the world’s most beautiful cities. This in-depth seven-day tour of St Petersburg will ensure you have plenty of time to relish all the most unmissable highlights of St Petersburg and its surroundings. St Petersburg, is, after all, one of the most visually compelling destinations in Russia, and its ornamental splendour was designed to be savoured.
Treasures Of St Petersburg – Trip Highlights
- St Petersburg Walking Tour: Admire spectacular urban architecture, old-world grandeur and a buzzing vibe on a guided walking tour of St Petersburg, including a stroll along the lively main drag, Nevsky Prospekt
- Take a hydrofoil boat trip to the World Heritage listed Peterhof Palace and Park, known as the ‘Russian Versailles’